Sefton Park

Infant and Junior Schools

Home Page

Sefton Park

Infant and Junior Schools

Home Page

Reporting Sickness

Changes to Contact Tracing with effect from 19th July


What are the changes to contact tracing from 19 July 2021?

• From 19 July, schools will no longer carry out routine contact tracing. From this point onwards, close contacts will be identified and contacted by NHS Test and Trace.


• As with positive cases in any other setting, NHS Test and Trace will speak with the individual who has tested positive – or, depending on their age, their parent or legal guardian – to identify close contacts.


• Contacts within schools will only be traced by NHS Test and Trace where the positive case specifically identifies the individual as having close, prolonged contact. NHS contact tracers will provide support on how to identify a close contact.

The school will not routinely be contacted to provide details of close contacts.


• Schools may be contacted in exceptional cases to help with identifying close contacts where there is a local outbreak, as currently happens in managing other infectious diseases.


• Symptomatic individuals, and those who record a positive test, will still need to isolate in line with current guidance.



My child has cold symptoms - do I send them to school or not?


This is all down to what the symptoms are.


If your child has any of the coronavirus symptoms which indicate that they need a test then they should book a PCR test straight away. Please refer to the most recent guidance issue by Bristol City Council in the Quick Parent Guide below:



When should I book a test?

Book a test if you or your child has:

  • a new, continuous cough (coughing for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours)
  • fever/high temperature (37.8C or greater)
  • loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste


You should also book a test if you have been instructed to by Test and Trace as a contact of someone who has tested positive.


If your child is feeling unwell with different symptoms, you should treat those as you normally would.


Where can I get a test?


If you require a Covid-19 test please call 119 or visit the government website here. Please keep trying as appointments are released throughout the day.


NHS111 are not able to arrange or advise how to obtain a Covid-19 test. If you require clinical advice about your symptoms please go to NHS111 online or call 111.


You can book a test using the online portal.

To see information on reporting your child's sickness please see under Attendance