Packed Lunch Advice
You may prefer to provide your child with a well-balanced packed lunch. Research shows that approximately half of all school children take a packed lunch to school, and it accounts for a third of the child's daily food intake (Source: Healthylunch.org.uk).
The UK Government recently produced packed lunch guidance in support of the implementation of new school food standards. The guidelines recommend that a packed lunch should include:
- One portion of fruit or vegetables each day
- Meat, fish or another source of non-dairy protein each day (e.g. lentils, beans, pulses, falafel)
- A starchy food each day e.g. rice, potatoes, pasta, noodles, cous cous, cereals
- A dairy food each day e.g. milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais
- An oily fish at least once every three weeks
For more Government advice on healthier lunches for children, click here.