Welcome to Year 6!
Year 6 is a jam packed year of learning, Camp, mini enterprise, the end of year performance and much more.
This first term sees us settling in and getting to know each other, with our Core Learning topic 'Learning With Others'; mastering a number of new artistic techniques in our mark-making fortnight; and we will begin to explore our topic of the Second World War. The children will have a chance to direct their own learning with group projects based on the conflict alongside the class work on developing our knowledge and skills. On top of all this we have a lot of fun and purposeful learning in Maths, English, P.E, Computing, Music and Spanish lessons.
The pupils have all responded to the high expectations of Year 6 and we can already tell it's going to be a great year for both the pupils and the teachers.
I hope this helps inform you of some of the routines and expectations in class.
* Reading logs are used. The children write down what they read and these are tallied up. Most are kept in school but they can be brought home. It is really important that the children continue to read to develop their vocabulary.
* We have P.E on Monday and Wednesday. They need a change of clothes and the kit has to be appropriate e.g. t-shirt, shorts and trainers.
* Homework is handed out every Friday and it is expected back on Friday the following week. There will often be two pieces. Copies will be put on this site when possible and there will be spares in class if they lose them.
* We test their times tables and spellings on a Friday. They will have some time to study in class but this is something that can be done at home. Little but often works best.
* The children are learning to play chess or are helping teach others. This will continue into term 2. There are free games online to play against computer programs as well as free sites e.g. chess.com, but you need to judge for yourself if you want them to play as they can play against other people.
Handed out 15/9/17
1) The children have been given a sheet of chess puzzles where they have to try to find how their side can achieve checkmate in one move. They may not get them all and I am happy for them to work with a friend or ask me for a bit of help.